Whatever issue you experience that concerns the law, someone will always be there to help and provide their services: a lawyer. Many people need them because of different reasons. It could be a crime, separation, divorce, or will. No one knows what people around them are going through, so seeking the services of a lawyer is helpful.
FILING A DIVORCE IN SINGAPORE
They say that marriage is one of the best things that will happen to you. It is opening a chapter in your life. You will be with someone you love and build a family with them. But even if it is the happiest event for most, some couples do not have the privilege to experience it with their partners, making them undergo divorce or legal separation. If you want to file a divorce, learn the Singapore divorce process to know what you need to do. You can also do these things:
LOOK FOR A RELIABLE LAWYER
With the help of the internet, you can search for a family lawyer there to help you with your case. The family lawyer will be the one to help and guide you in going through all the processes that you need to take. They will enlighten you about the grounds for divorce in Singapore and other matters that could affect your case. All the legal problems are taken care of because of their help, like visitation rights and child custody.
CHECK THE COST OF THE DIVORCE AND THE SERVICES OF THE LAWYER
$3500 up to $35,000. Those are the prices of how much the divorce in Singapore cost. It depends on the service that you will get. Learn about the divorce process to know what you need to do and prepare for it. You need to think of these services in checking the divorce cost:
- Divorce application
- Mediation (the fee is per session)
- Opposing party letters
- Pre-trial conference
Do not worry because your lawyer will guide you in the process and see which services suit your situation. You will learn more about divorce and other legal matters because of them.
KNOW THE DIVORCE GROUNDS
Some people think that divorce is all about ending the marriage. But before you go further with your divorce, the most necessary thing you need to learn are the grounds of divorce in Singapore. It is your basis on what kind of divorce you and your partner fall into. It could be fault-based divorce and no-fault divorce. These are their differences:
- Fault-based divorce – It is the common ground of divorce because of its scope. Usually, people file for divorce because of the wrongdoings of the other. It could be abandonment, adultery, drug and alcohol usage, or domestic violence.
- No-fault divorce – On this ground, the divorce could be because of personality differences or falling out of love with your partner. If you encounter an uncontested divorce in Singapore, they fall into a no-fault divorce. The person does not blame the other party, and vice versa.
There are facts that you need to think of if you will file a divorce. These are the common reasons.
- Unreasonable behaviour – Experiencing violence or abuse from your partner is part of this fact. Couples who file for divorce for these reasons use this for an uncontested divorce. The evidence is already in the behaviour that the other shows.
- Separation – Living separately with your partner for three years is under separation. But, it must be because of choice.
- Adultery – If you know a married person in another relationship besides their spouse, it is what they committed. Most of the time, this is not applicable for uncontested divorce because the other party would not admit to what they did. However, you can do something to gather evidence: hire an investigator.
- Desertion – Abandonment: this word is what comes to mind when talking about desertion. The reasons could relate to the mental health of the person, causing them to abandon their partner. Sometimes, they do not plan to come back.
LEARN ITS DIFFERENCE FROM LEGAL SEPARATION
If you and your partner want to separate but keep your family, you can file for legal separation. The most noticeable difference between divorce and legal separation is the ability to get married again. There are no divorce processes or grounds for divorce to think about here.
THINGS YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR IN A LAWYER
Lawyers are one of the people that many respect. They are knowledgeable when it comes to the law to help others who are in need. There is a criminal lawyer, family lawyer, probate lawyer, and more. All you need to do is find the right one for you. Here are the things that you need to look for in them:
Looking for all the angles of the case is one of the things that a lawyer should do. With this skill, you will see if they are worth your trust or not.
Observe how your lawyer handles your case. They must also explain what you need to focus on, especially in knowing the Singapore divorce process.
SERVICES THEY OFFER
A lawyer has many services to offer, and one of them could relate to will. If this is your case, look for a probate lawyer in Singapore to help you know the beneficiaries up to the asset distribution.
People who experience violence from their partners have a hard time talking about what happened to them. It is the reason why your lawyer must be good at communicating with their clients. It makes them safe physically, and they would have the courage to discuss the happenings.
Emotions are not easy to hide, especially if you are in front of people talking about your case. And, it is one thing that a lawyer must understand. Going through the divorce process is hard, so the lawyer must learn what you feel and help you win the case.
If you want to learn more about the Singapore divorce process, visit Aspect Law Chambers’ website. You will see all the offers and services they have for their clients.