Psychological help via the Internet can be provided in many different ways. What seems to be the most popular and most often associated with online psychological help is undoubtedly contact via instant messaging, such as Skype. However, this is not the only form of this kind of help. Focus on Reading to know more.
At the very beginning, when the Internet began to be used to provide psychological help, specialists contacted their clients / patients via e-mails or Gadu-Gadu instant messaging. Such contact was consultative or supportive.
Various types of internet forums moderated by specialists or chat rooms were also popular. Internet therapy was not mentioned at the time.
This, however, began to change. Currently, psychotherapy via the Internet is widely available. It is also often – especially for people from small towns where access to online help is more difficult, or people living abroad for whom using therapy facing too much of a challenge will be the foreign language – one of the few opportunities to contact a
Online therapy – advantages and disadvantages of this form of assistance
The undoubted advantages of using psychotherapy via the Internet are probably greater flexibility and availability of therapists than in the case of meetings in the office.
Online therapy also saves time – by making an appointment via the communicator, you do not waste time traveling to a specialist. Online therapy can be easier for some people than direct contact – this is especially true for those who ask for help because of difficult experiences of violence.
For many people, it is easier for many people to tell someone who cannot be seen about, for example, sexual violence (you can turn off the camera by messaging). The Internet helps to break down shame and fear.
The success of therapy via the Internet – more than the pros and cons of this form of contact – seems to be determined by the patient’s decision about the willingness to use such contact, and the willingness and mobilization of the therapist to overcome some of the shortcomings of this form of relationship in a creative way.
So, if you are wondering whether the Internet is a good place for you to seek psychological help, allow yourself to try. When it turns out to be wrong – you will resign. If you don’t try, you will live in ignorance.
Starting online psychotherapy will allow you to work with your therapist in a friendly environment where you can talk openly and freely work on your problems without the need to travel.
In this article, you will learn what the online psychologist service and online psychological therapy are: who can benefit, what are its advantages and disadvantages.
You will also learn how to effectively search for the right specialist and what to pay attention to before you decide on online psychotherapy.
What is online psychological help?
Online psychologist services are therapy carried out remotely, at a distance, as opposed to traditional, conducted in direct contact.
Online psychotherapy takes many forms. The synchronous form occurs when the contact with the psychologist takes place in real time – for example, via internet chat, text messages or video chat.
The asynchronous form, on the other hand, occurs when the specialist’s response takes some time, for example in the case of an e-mail exchange.
In what situations to use the services of an online psychologist?
Whether online therapy is better than traditional therapy is sometimes a moot point. Some point out that personal contact and the therapeutic relationship built in this way cannot be replaced.
There are also opposing voices – online meetings give a sense of security and comfort that cannot be provided by face-to-face meetings. In addition, they are an alternative for people who cannot undergo therapy or consult a psychologist inpatient.
In what situations is the online psychotherapy service perfect?
- For people on the go. If your lifestyle means that you do not stay in one place for a long time, traditional psychotherapy is impossible.
- In such cases, using online psychotherapy will allow you to systematically participate in sessions regardless of where on earth you are at the moment – as long as you have an Internet connection.
- For people from small towns and villages. Unfortunately, in smaller towns and villages, access to specialist psychotherapists is very limited. If you live in an area where there is a shortage of good psychotherapists, online psychotherapy may be the perfect solution. Regardless of your location, you have access to the best specialists in Poland.
- For people staying abroad. Even if you are fluent in a foreign language and have lived abroad for many years – it is always easier and more convenient for you to speak your mother tongue about your personal problems.
- For people with disabilities. Being able to connect with a therapist from your own home can save you a lot of effort, such as transport to the office.
- For people who feel shame or other negative emotions in personal contact. Some people feel ashamed of going to psychotherapy (and even fear that someone they know will see them in front of a psychologist’s office). If such emotions are familiar to you, an online psychologist is the best option.
- The effectiveness of online psychologist help
- Online psychologist and online psychotherapy is as effective as traditional .